New on RSS 1.0 - need some help!!!
tsmpereira
2006-05-31 09:39:36 UTC

I am new on this group and I am also new on the "RSS feed". I am
trying to use the RSS 1.0 to describe articles from a specific
repository. In each item description I am using metadata from the
Dublin Core, from the Qualified Dublin Core and from the Prism
vocabulary. I wanted to ask if in my item description I can add
elements from the Prism vocabulary through the definition of the Prism
namespace: xmlns:prism="http://prismstandard.org/namespace/1.2/basic/"
Or I just can use elements from vocabularies which has modules defined?
The Prism vocabulary doesn't have defined a module.

An RDF/XML document it conforms an RSS application?
And how can I subscribe a channel?

Does anyone can give me a help?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Teresa

Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Alain Farmer
2006-06-01 19:12:18 UTC
Hi Teresa,

Your questions below are basically answered on the home page of this
YahooGroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/
Post by tsmpereira
I am new on this group and I am also new on the "RSS feed".
Welcome aboard! :-)
Post by tsmpereira
I am trying to use RSS 1.0 to describe articles from a specific
repository. In each item description I'm using metadata from the
Dublin Core, from the Qualified Dublin Core, and from the Prism
vocabulary.
I was not aware of the PRISM standard, but now that I have glanced at
it, I am interested in it. So interested in it, that I will integrate
it into my own RDF/RSS-based standards .. today! :-)
Post by tsmpereira
I wanted to ask if in my item description I can add elements
from the Prism vocabulary through the definition of the
Prism namespace ...
Yes, this is how RDF works, e.g. include namespace declaration then
use the elements provided by this namespace, throughout the document.
Post by tsmpereira
Or I just can use elements from
vocabularies which have modules defined?
Clearly it is better when the module is defined (Schema, etc.), but I
think RDF/RSS parsers/interpreters can handle the XML without NEEDING
the Schema|etc. The latter are for validating the well-formed-ness of
XML documents, verifying the semantics, and so on, and so on. Good to
have but NOT-obligatory.
Post by tsmpereira
An RDF/XML document it conforms an RSS application?
Yes.
Post by tsmpereira
And how can I subscribe to a channel?
Use an RSS/RDF-Reader[s] and/or RSS/RDF-Aggregator[s]. There are MANY
on the market, MANY are free opensource wares. Many *existing* wares,
such as web-browsers, are increasingly integrating these functions in
to their product[s]. In MicroSoft's upcoming platform[s], RSS/RDF is
at the center of everything! Anyways.. getting back to your question,
you use a reader/aggregator to subscribe to a channel. This can be as
easy as using your current web-browser w/o a plugin for channels.
Post by tsmpereira
Can anyone give me some help?
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Teresa
I am just a step or two above "Beginner", but I'm catching-on really
quick... probably because of my extensive experience in HTML coding,
CSS, basic XML ... and because this RDF-stuff is rather easy to get,
once you get passed the initial 'shock' of its apparent bloated-ness.
As for me, I hand-code the RDF *once*, transform this into scripts in
a easy-to-use IDE, which in turn will forever-after generate the RDF
*for* me. :-))

Hey! we might want to trade notes during our respective work on PRISM
in RDF/RSS... help each other... learn from each other. But there has
to be enough *reciprocity* to make it interesting for the BOTH of us.

Nice to meet you, :-)

Alain F

tsmpereira
2006-06-20 17:03:25 UTC
Dear Alain,

Thank you very much for your kind help :)
English is not my birth language and therefore sometimes it is
difficult to understand the exact meaning of a sentence ...

I wanted to ask you something else:
I read in a book that RSS has some restrictions one of them tells that
we can't list multiple subelements of the higher-level item element
and the other one is related to the rdf:parseType attribute.

So please tell me I can have the description of creator like this:

<dc:creator rdf:parseType="Resource">
<vCard:n>Teresa</vCard:n>
<vCard:family>pereira</vCard:family>
<vCard:EMAIL>tpereira-***@public.gmane.org</vCard:EMAIL>
<vCard:ORG>University of Minho</vCard:ORG>
</dc:creator>

and the description of several subjects, like this:

<dc:subject>
<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li>Information System</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>Management of Information System</rdf:li>
</rdf:Bag>
</dc:subject>

I know that this is correct in RDF but I have some doubts when I read
the RSS resctrictions. And I also think that does not make much sense
only have one subject...

Alain, once again thank you very much for your precious help.

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Teresa

Alain Farmer
2006-06-24 21:20:41 UTC
Hi Teresa,
Post by tsmpereira
Thank you very much for your kind help :)
You are welcome. :-)
Post by tsmpereira
English is not my birth language and therefore sometimes it is
difficult to understand the exact meaning of a sentence ...
I will endeavour to be as clear as possible.
Post by tsmpereira
I read in a book that RSS has some restrictions...
Which book ?
Post by tsmpereira
one of them tells that we can't list multiple
subelements of the higher-level item element...
I am not aware of this restriction.
Post by tsmpereira
... and the other one is related to
the rdf:parseType attribute.
I don't use this much. Its use seems to be somewhat questionnable, as
per info I have recently read on the Web (via a Google search).
Post by tsmpereira
So please tell me I can have the
<dc:creator rdf:parseType="Resource">
<vCard:n>Teresa</vCard:n>
<vCard:family>pereira</vCard:family>
<vCard:ORG>University of Minho</vCard:ORG>
</dc:creator>
Yes, I think you can do this.

By the way, you should also be able to specify the properties of the
creator (or any Person or Organization for that matter) as a distinct
document that is *referenced* by your dc:creator tag. Like follows:

<dc:creator rdf:resource="http://uri/creator.rdf"/>

N.B.: note the "/" at the end of the above line + the absence of the
end-tag.
Post by tsmpereira
<dc:subject>
<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li>Information System</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>Management of Information System</rdf:li>
</rdf:Bag>
</dc:subject>
Yes, I am confidant that this is correct. rdf:bag, rdf:seq & rdf:alt
are the correct way of specifying multiple values inside RDF, albeit
some people shun them. As for RSS 1.0 fully supporting *ALL* of RDF,
without restrictions, I am not sure. In my opinion, it should, but I
will verify this to make sure.
Post by tsmpereira
I know that this is correct in RDF
but I have some doubts when I read
the RSS restrictions.
Please forward me|us any reference(s) you may have on this issue.
Post by tsmpereira
And I also think that does not make
much sense to only have one subject...
I strongly agree with you. Things are often classified into more than
one category (subject). Same goes for author, contributor ... because
there are often MANY authors, MANY contributors... If RSS 1.0 doesn't
support multiple values, then it is inadequate (RSS not good enough).
Post by tsmpereira
Alain, once again thank you very much
for your precious help.
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Teresa
You are too kind, Teresa. By the way: you have a very nice name. :-)
But please remember that I'm still just a beginner at this RDF stuff,
albeit I am quickly becoming knowledgeable about it. One day, I will
be an expert at it. Meanwhile, I am just about to test my RDF to see
whether RDF & RSS readers will be able to interpret it correctly. In
other words, whether my RDF conforms to current standards and tools.

I'll keep you and the list abreast of my progress.
Until then, I wish you well. :-)

Alain