Using the channel image
Clinton Gallagher
2007-05-11 21:38:54 UTC
What's been learned when using the channel image? The browser style sheets
will not display it. Do any of the feed readers done so?

I've been thinking of how a channel image may be used as a "web bug" to log
the usage of the web feed. I assume others have thought of this and have
tried doing so. What if anything is known of this usage?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
James Holderness
2007-05-12 20:08:21 UTC
Post by Clinton Gallagher
What's been learned when using the channel image? The browser
style sheets will not display it. Do any of the feed readers
done so?
FWIW, I know there is some support for the channel image element in RSS 2.0
feeds. I don't know whether the readers that support the RSS 2.0 element
also support the 1.0 version, but I would think it's fairly likely.

In my tests, Firefox displayed the image in its feed preview (but obviously
not in LiveBookmarks); IE7 didn't display the image in its feed preview, but
did show it when you subscribed to a feed; other readers I know of that
support the image in some way include Abilon, Awasu, Bloglines, RssReader,
RSS Bandit, SharpReader and YeahReader.

Regards
James
BKDesign Solutions
2007-05-14 17:26:49 UTC
itunes does as does magpie parser if wanted when showing a feed on a website.

Bruce Prochnau

Clinton Gallagher
2007-05-15 18:05:42 UTC
The replies to the question regarding the display of the channel's image has
been good news thank you.

Now, from a developer's perspective is using the channel image a good way to
record usage or are other tactics a better metric? When customers use a
service which generates a webfeed the customer's feed is served from their
servers so then what? I've considered hosting the channel's image would be a
reasonable method to record usage.

<%= Clinton