Converting HTML to RSS
hughcares99
2006-08-09 03:10:10 UTC
After having spend much time here:

http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/#

and here:

http://www.wotzwot.com/rssxl.php

and here:

http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/tidy

and here:

http://xmlwrench.com/

and here:

http://www.feedfire.com

and here:

Secrets of RSS (Visual Quickstart Guides) (Paperback)
by Steven Holzner

(which is what got me started on this journey in the first place)

I've come to the conclusion that converting HTML (or XHTML) to RSS
is a lot like trying to get someone who speaks fluent japanese to
work with someone who speaks fluent german to collaborate on
converting a textbook written in russian into swahili.

Now excuse me while the pain in my head subsides...

Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jon Hanna
2006-08-09 10:48:20 UTC
Post by hughcares99
I've come to the conclusion that converting HTML (or XHTML) to RSS
is a lot like trying to get someone who speaks fluent japanese to
work with someone who speaks fluent german to collaborate on
converting a textbook written in russian into swahili.
I'd say more like asking someone to spend a very long time turning a
treatment into a novel and then asking someone else to produce another
treatment.

Pretty easy if you get the original treatment (by analogy, the source
data). A pain if you didn't.

hughcares99
2006-08-12 00:45:44 UTC
Further down the road...

First a took a list of links, and added them to
an item using [CDATA.

Works in Firefox (Sage) and Opera, but not in:

Feedreader
Snarfer
Google Reader
RSS Reader
Wizz (Firefox)
CustomXML
Awasu
Pluck
or
IE7 (Beta 3)

Maybe they don't like the [CDATA. Fine,
Used Firefox RSS Editor to create simple
form:

Item
Title
Link
Description

Same results.

Snarfer reads Lockergnome's Feed which includes
links and is written (looks like anyways) XHTML.

I know I've got online readers and aggregators as
an option, but, I try to avoid them like the plague
because I don't want to social network. I get nervous
about putting my stuff online, because I just don't
want to share what I do.

I've got my private life and my public life and
I'd like very much to keep the two seperate and
distinct - thank you.

I guess the best question I can think of, at this
point to ask is, is there such a thing as generic
RSS code which will have the greatest degree of
cross compatibility among readers or is it just
basically a crap shoot?

What are the basic dos and don'ts and what should
be avoided like the plague?

It seems that the one thing that's consistent,
at least in what I've come across in coding,
operating systems, software, and browsers,
hardware and driver compatibility is that standards
aren't.

Whatever fixes one problem may create two or three
more in the process.

Am I asking too much to hope for perhaps some
common (cross platform) denominators or is that too
much of a Holy Grail?

Josh Sled
2006-08-12 01:22:16 UTC
Post by hughcares99
First a took a list of links, and added them to
an item using [CDATA.
What do you mean by "converting HTML to RSS"?

What are you actually trying to do?
--
...jsled

James Holderness
2006-08-12 02:00:30 UTC
Post by hughcares99
First a took a list of links, and added them to
an item using [CDATA.
Do you have a URL for your feed that you can share with us so we can see
what might be wrong? Most of the feed readers you listed should be capable
of handling CDATA.

Otherwise enter your URL into the feedvalidator at www.feedvalidator.org -
that might help you determine why it's not working.
Post by hughcares99
I guess the best question I can think of, at this
point to ask is, is there such a thing as generic
RSS code which will have the greatest degree of
cross compatibility among readers or is it just
basically a crap shoot?
Feed readers tend to be fairly good at reading almost anything you throw at
them as long as it's more or less valid RSS. If your feed is not working in
a lot of readers then you're probably doing something fundamentally wrong.

The only way we can help you, though, is if you provide a link to your feed;
or at least paste a sample of what it looks like.

Regards
James

hughcares99
2006-08-15 10:11:31 UTC
Here's what I've been working on (zipped - 400k:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mmeroom/jobs.zip

Here's the page I've been working from:

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksource/StaticContent.aspx?Context=ClassifiedAds&CurrentPage=ClassifiedAds

Have at it.