Digest Number 1141
Stephen Downes
2005-10-10 11:30:16 UTC
Subject: Using Atom elements in RSS feeds
I'm curious -- what are RSS1 people's reactions to using Atom
elements in RSS feeds?
I would use <fh:prev>http://www.example.com/foo/1</fh:prev>

It's simpler and cleaner. The Atom alternative doesn't actually add any
information not contained in this statement.

-- Stephen

--

Stephen Downes ~ Research Officer ~ National Research Council Canada
http://www.downes.ca ~ stephen-***@public.gmane.org __\|/__ Free Learning

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
James Holderness
2005-10-11 20:18:43 UTC
May I ask why you wouldn't consider using something like
dcterms:isVersionOf, seeing as dcterms is already a proposed RSS1 module? As
an example:

<dcterms:isVersionOf rdf:resource="http://www.example.com/foo/1" />

According to the Dublin Core usage guide: "Version relations are those in
which one resource is an historical state or edition, of another resource by
the same creator." I'm not overly familiar with RDF and Dublin Core, but
that sounds to me a lot like the relationship you're trying to represent
here.

The other alternative would be dcterms:isReplacedBy which the usage guide
describes as: "When establishing a chain of versions, where only one version
is valid, the use of isReplacedBy and Replaces allows the relationship to be
expressed and the user directed to the appropriate version."
Post by Stephen Downes
I'm curious -- what are RSS1 people's reactions to using Atom
elements in RSS feeds?
I would use <fh:prev>http://www.example.com/foo/1</fh:prev>
It's simpler and cleaner. The Atom alternative doesn't actually add any
information not contained in this statement.
Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Mark Nottingham
2005-10-13 22:52:58 UTC
Tha'ts not the semantic I'm looking for at all; it's not that there's a previous version of the
same document, it's that there's a different document that can be combined with this one
to create a more complete picture of the feed.