Using Atom elements in RSS feeds
Mark Nottingham
2005-10-10 00:58:07 UTC
I'm curious -- what are RSS1 people's reactions to using Atom
elements in RSS feeds?

I ask because I'm designing an extension that can be used (currently)
in both Atom and RSS feeds -- Feed History <http://www.ietf.org/
internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-04.txt>. It
defines three elements, one of which is in the form:
<fh:prev>http://www.example.com/foo/1</fh:prev>

Some Atom WG members argue that this should be:
<atom:link rel="prev" href="http://www.example.com/foo/1</fh:prev>
and point out that other specs already use Atom elements in RSS feeds.

It's obviously not ideal (you'd need to declare two namespaces to use
the extension in RSS -- one for atom, one for the other elements),
but I'd prefer, if at all possible, to avoid having one element for
RSS feeds and a different one for Atom feeds.

What are people's reactions to this? What's the lesser of two evils
-- using Atom elements in RSS, or having separate elements for
different formats?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham http://www.mnot.net/

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Cecelia Hickel
2006-02-09 01:24:08 UTC
Mark,

This is a late response. My thoughts are pretty simple on your question. RDF is about the Semantic Web and RDF/RSS 1.0 has purpose, design, and usefulness which does not necessarily coincide with Atom's development, purposes and design. Why not treat Atom as an RSS 1.0 " RSS feed" module for pure RDF applications to use, and yet have the benefits offered by Atom and still also satisfy application development needs for RDF purposes? Considering what RDF offers in compound search technologies, I would think that RDF/RSS 1.0 should be preferred to "manage" RSS feeds so to speak and provide the hooks for advanced queries.
Just some thoughts out loud.

Cecelia Hickel

Mark Nottingham <mnot-4Ql+***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
I'm curious -- what are RSS1 people's reactions to using Atom
elements in RSS feeds?

I ask because I'm designing an extension that can be used (currently)
in both Atom and RSS feeds -- Feed History internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-04.txt>. It
defines three elements, one of which is in the form:
http://www.example.com/foo/1

cjhickel-/***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/