rss1.x and Atom compared via AtomOwl
Henry Story
2006-07-25 02:55:48 UTC

The AtomOwl [1] group has been working on backward engineering
the semantics behind the Atom XML format. It seems to be stabilizing
quite well, and is even finding useful applications as a language to
SPARQL enable atom servers.

I started looking at the blogging world a couple of years ago
only, late in the game, which is probably why I have had the patience
to look at the arguments with a fresh eye. I worked on the Atom
group, because I thought that if something like this got started it
was probably because they wanted to go beyond what had been done in
the past. For a long time I thought that Atom could be like RSS1.x:
an rdf and an xml format. But that was not to be. All this to say
that I did not really choose a camp. I just fell into one.

Now that we have an Ontology for Atom it should be really easy
to work out what the similarities and the differences are, since we
have 2 rdf vocabularies to work from. I thought the comparison could
be quite instructive. Perhaps AtomOwl will just have a really simple
mapping to RSS1.1? Perhaps Atom has introduced some new concepts that
would not be so easy to backport to RSS1.x? I really don't know. But
it may be instructive to find out.

Henry Story

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2006-06-06/

Yahoo! Groups Links